Wednesday, February 13, 2013

fuck and other extremities



You built me out of stones
When you tried to build a home
Where you could be alone
And let the way that the second hand
Took a stand
Against your superiority complex
Fall off your skin without leaving a little scar
Because it would’ve pushed you too far
To admit to me
In the back seat of your car
That I was worth something more than
The candy wrappers
And the cigarette butts
You kept in the ash tray on the table of your
Imaginary patio
Next to your make-believe
Romanticism
And eclecticism
That you pride yourself on

It seemed to me that your favorite time of day was 13 o’clock
And all of the remnants of tomorrow could have been mistaken for now.
Fucking and having sex in order to pretend we don’t make love
Our freedom quaked until morning was etched all over your face
And the zodiac could be tattooed on your palm.

There’s a light-up line on the floor
To keep score
Of the path I take
And all the times I break
The windows I’m supposed to clean
Or make a scene
About something too esoteric for remedy
And not quite esoteric enough for philosophy
Without discrepancies, I wondered when you’d run to the top
Of the local mountainous oceanic meadow
And do one of two things:
You could have poured the clouds in my eyes
And watched the way I looked before you
Or
With the same wistful serendipity you could build a hundred little shops
With big striped tops
And melted me into your mouth
And kept me there for the rest of the year.
I wouldn’t hear
Of any other maniacal flirtations
On behalf of the sound of my heels on cobblestone in the rain

It hasn’t stopped you from reading
Or feeding
My addiction
To perfection
And disappointment
It’s a roman candle
Before I fly off the handle
And requite the unrequited
Until you smite me into oblivion.

I love to kiss your mouth when you swear
Or say you care
With lips like water
Is it getting hotter
In here or is that just me?
You see, I see the millions of starstruck fireworks to the west
All the rest
To the test
Until my tongue is hung like the jim crow lynching
Until musical squares become circles
And we both fall off the edge of the world.


I can taste her name on all the musical notes
That you wrote
And transposed into a different key
So it could be
Okay for me
Without me knowing it was all wrong
It’s not my song
It wasn’t all along
You wouldn’t have said anything
If I hadn’t said it first
I’m not as naïve as you think.
I left the dishes in the sink
Because I break all the bowls I hold
And I can’t do what I’m told
And I haven’t forgotten that I’m getting old
And cold
Freezing

Truthfully, I love it when you prove yourself
Or mark the calendar
Of my health
And don’t remember
You kissed my swaying and rocking reservoir of pebbles that drop in the lake
Until you take
Me back.
I sleep naked in your sweatshirts and pretend that they’re your arms.
No harm
Or meretricious mendacity
Because it’s redolent around the garden
Where I locked a key
Under a tree
Inside
You have to get in to get in
I’ll call you, laying next to you, to ask you on a date.
You feel like a thousand miles above the ocean where the air is soft and I’m held aloft by the scintillating sound of your voice.

They say
Or breathing
Like I’m running out of days
Because I’ve got one of those feelings
That set me to reeling
About the state of the world that I’m in
It shouldn’t be a sin
To forget your kin
And leave them behind for some sunny days
Far away
With an empty tank of gas
And a forgotten element of class
When we sleep under the bridge
But still make it for breakfast at Tiffany’s
And scrub the dirt from our nails
Just to put on our diamond rings
It doesn’t matter that we stole them
From the mother hen
Whose children will attend the ivy schools
And make fools
Of the price of private education
When they’re working at the train station
In a couple thousand years
Reminiscing on the days when we used to walk
And talk.

Who gives a fuck about the little fucks you’ve lost and all the left over fucks you’ve still got?
I fucking don’t.

I actually do, but not in front of anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment