Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Alternate Ending

[FADE IN]
I stared at the counter, watching the shadows from the car headlights passing on the street below shine against the wall behind MY and reflect against the tops of MY hands. I was humming something slowly and quietly, at first unaware that the door behind ME was swinging open.
YOU enter, the smoke still curling out of YOUR lips, the sounds of the city dulling the sound of your heavy breathing. YOU stare at MY back and I begin to cry.

ME
Why couldn't you have trusted the liquid desires you wrought inside of my nervous system?
YOU
You don't make sense anymore. 
ME
It's like you never wanted me to stick around for long enough for you to love it, but just for long enough to prove wrong the blueness of her eyes. 

I turn to YOU.   YOU step closer to me, letting the palms of YOUR hands wrap around MY wrists. YOU don't remember the last time that YOU touched ME. MY heart is beating so loudly that YOU can feel it on my skin.

YOU
Give up, already. Just walk away.
ME
I wanted to wish you Merry Christmas on the rooftop of the hand sanitizer factory.  I wanted to kiss you at midnight when the year dies.
YOU
One day, you'll stop babbling and I'll thank God for the fact that he invented lips to close your mouth. 
YOU let go of ME and turn to the cabinet. YOU pour a glass of wine and hand it to ME. I sip it while you grab YOURSELF a beer. 
ME
I thank God that he invented lips so that I can touch yours. 
YOU
Then stop giving up. 
ME
Then stop pretending that you want me to.
YOU
You left. 
ME
I wasn't planning on going anywhere anyway. I just wanted to know if you would fight for me. You didn't. You never do. Nobody ever has.
YOU
You are the worst thing that's happened to me since the hurricane last February. Lots of wind. Lots of rain. I was so wet.
ME
That's probably why you needed me, just to dry you up. But, I'm the worst thing that's happened to anyone since the world became flammable. You're flammable now. So, it's probably time for me to go.
I put down the glass of wine and turn to the door. I slide into YOUR coat, which has spray paint on the arms, and I slip a pack of cigarettes out of the pocket. It's empty.

ME
I thought you quit. 
YOU
I thought you cared. 
I put the pack back in the pocket and walk toward YOU, grabbing the key ring from YOUR pocket, holding it with MY teeth as I zip up MY sweater underneath. Turning away, I step into MY shoes and open the door.

YOU clear your throat and I turn. I watch YOU finish YOUR beer and toss the bottle in the sink. It shatters. YOU step to ME and push ME against the fridge, which rocks against OUR weight. YOU haven't been this close to ME in so long that I had forgotten what YOUR eyes looked like when YOU could actually see ME. I smile.

YOU
I wish you'd talk to me. 
ME
I'll always love you. 
YOU
I don't want to make you unhappy...
ME
I'll always love you. 
YOU
Bella... 
ME
Fight for me. 
YOU
Fight who? 
ME
Me. 
YOU
Don't leave. 
ME
Thank you. 
WE kiss. I love YOU quite a lot. It's all very simple.
 [FADE OUT]


I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment